The Department of Economics at Illinois State University has established a reputation for excellence in research, education and community service. Faculty members are engaged in research across a wide range of interests and, based on research productivity alone, the department consistently ranks among the top non-doctoral economics programs. Our research seminars provide an opportunity for additional interaction with colleagues and visiting scholars.
Our undergraduate program is noted for exceptional commitment to teaching quality and an innovative curriculum. An important component of this success is made possible by the small-class environment of all our intermediate and advanced courses.
Additional learning opportunities for undergraduates include the honors program and senior projects. The graduate program offers a STEM-classified Master’s degree with concentrations in applied economics, electricity, natural gas & telecommunications, applied community & economic development, or financial economics.
The Department of Economics Excellence Fund is administered to help support activities involving faculty members and students, in addition to events sponsored by the Department involving the broader campus community. Among its purposes are:
- bringing speakers to campus to focus on economic policy issues
- underwriting professional workshops and conferences
- sponsoring public lectures
- engaging students in off campus activities, e.g., trips to the St. Louis and Chicago Federal Reserve Banks and sponsoring membership in Omicron Delta Epsilon, the economics honor society
- enriching our newest initiative, the Undergraduate Women in Economics project aids in the recruitment of more women and members of other under-represented groups into the formal study of economics